Bow Restoration Workshop
BELE.Basque School of Violin Making. CPM – Juan Crisostomo de Arriaga- MKP.
Plaza Ibarrekolanda 1, 48015 Bilbao. Spain.Date
Lecturer: Sergio Chanquia. www.sach-archetier.fr
Date: from 17th to 19th of February 2023. Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Duration: 21 hours
Timetable: Friday and Saturday 9:00-13:00/ 14:00-18:00 and Sunday 10:00-15:00.
– Bow to rehair, bow for verification of curve, bow for restorations or all the works will be carried out in the same bow.
– Head plate in Galalithe, Violin, Viola, Cello, according to convenience
– Tension system: Screw and eyelet, Violin, Viola, cello according to convenience,
– Silver thread to make the winding (thicknesses 0.25, 0.30, 0.40 mm for weight and balance correction), leather dimensions bigger than 25 mm wide x 55 mm long and colored silk threads or simile.
– Mother of pearl for Parisian eye work and slide, as needed or both.
– To make the ring you will need a 1 mm silver plate 10mm wide x 17 mm long and another one 0.6 mm thick and 10mm wide x 22mm long. Borax if possible.
– For rehairing / 8 grams of hairs, different size knifes, 3mm chisel, beech wood for plugs, linen thread for tying hairs, powdered rosin, alcohol lamp, files, comb and a lighter.
– Shellac flakes to make medallion for restoration,
– For varnishing: shellac and vaseline oil, a bit.
– Hand chuck.
– Long wooden block with leather glued on it.
– A sheet of sandpaper 400, 600, 800, 1200, 2000, micromesh.
– Container for water
– A piece of bone/Galalithe plate to carry out the restoration of the tip.
– A Ruler.
– White and brown titebone glue.
– Soldering wire tostick the silver winding.
– Round pincers, flat pincers (there will be one anyway).
The school will be able to provide the liquids that the participants have problems transporting.
- Taking hairs off, cleaning the stick frog and button (polishing of the silver fittings)
- Checquing the stick curve, straightness and head aligment. ( Recambrer / Redressage / Dévoilage )
- Redress the surface of the stick after the frog where the thumb rests. ( Comblage à la gomme laca ).
- Changing the plate on the bow head with Galalithe / restoring the nose/ head plate on silver.
- Tuning and changing the tensioning device: screw and nut and parameters to have in account
- Winding on silver. Weight and equilibrium point. Antique winding: silver and silk
- Frog restoration: All about the work on motherofpearl
- Making and restoring the silver ring.
Short CV with the contact info from the applicant (name, email address…)
Please send the above to this address: email@example.com
Selection of applicants will be based on the above required information.
Number of places: 15
Course fee: 400€
For inquiries, our contact address is: firstname.lastname@example.org